Cross River government has suspended her 2020 Haji trip to the Holy Land, Saudi Arabia due to coronavirus pandemic.
The state also refunded millions of naira to intending pilgrims who earlier before the COVID-19 outbreak had indicated interest.
The state chairman of Cross River Muslim Pilgrims Board, Alhaji Rabiu Maimaje made this known on Friday in Calabar. Hanoky Media gathered that Saudi Arabia’s government had on Monday announced that the 2020 hajj, scheduled to take place in July, would welcome “very limited number” of pilgrims.
The Saudi authority explained that their action was to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Maimaje said that the decision to make refunds became necessary due to the restriction placed by Saudi authorities.
He said the board, had already paid a visit to Rev. Fr. Bob Etta, Senior Special Adviser to the governor, Ben. Ayade on Religious Affairs to notify him of the recent development.
Maimaje also disclosed that members of the board have been visiting different mosques in some parts of the state to keep the Muslim faithful abreast of the situation.